Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Every Morning


The sun peeking over Green Mountain from my driveway this morning
New every morning is your love, great God of light,
and all day long you are working for good in the world.
Stir up in us the desire to serve you,
to live peacefully with our neighbors,
and to devote each day to your Son,
our Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord.
~Amen
 (from An Order for Morning Praise and Prayer, United Methodist Hymnal. 1989)

That beautiful morning prayer resounded in me this morning as I heard birdsong outside my window,
accompanied by my chimes ringing in a lazy breeze. 


This beauty greeted me by the front door.  Originally from the garden of Rocket Man's Granny, they delight us each year with their color and the gentle, clean fragrance carries him back to happy days playing in her yard.  What a blessing!
I saw iris of deep purple in the yard that once bloomed in Granny's yard. 
I breathed in it's gentle fragrance and breathed out a prayer of thankfulness for this fleeting beauty.

 
Hyacinth, so lovely and fragrant


My hyacinth are almost gone, but their fragrance clings to the dying blooms.  I buried my nose to get one last gift from their treasure store. 


Grape Hyacinth, leftovers from the original owners of the house, faithful every year to bloom and bless
As I continued through the yard, I enjoyed the grape hyacinth.  So sturdy and faithful.  I am thankful to enjoy the fruit of someone else's labor.  I do nothing to or for these beauties, but they bloom each year.



Is there anything more lovely that violets peeping out in the spring? 

We don't grow much grass in our yard, but it is full of violets in the spring.  In fact, I usually beg Rocket Man for just one more week when he decides to mow the first time in the spring.  Just one more week with my sweet violets, please!

I spied wisteria blooming on the tree in the back yard.  A plum tree.  Peach blossoms about to burst forth.  Forsythia come and gone. 
The beauty of spring astounds me.  Every year. 

On the ride to work I saw cherry trees in full bloom, blossoms floating over my head like snow coming down.  More wisteria, full and beautiful.  Tulips. Pansies. 
Redbud trees.  Azalea budding.  Dogwood.

Dogwood in bloom at the Church House
New every morning is your love. 
Oh, yes.  New every morning!
The Creator's beauty and imagination there for all to see.
If we but take the time.
Thank you, God, for the beauty of your earth. 
Thank you for the wonder of spring bursting forth.
Thank you for eyes to see your gracious gifts all around me.

~Mollianne

No comments: