Friday, January 21, 2011

Your Battery is Low

I've spent this evening bundled up in bed all alone with my laptop.  Rocket Man is traveling and I am left to my own devices and am without adult supervision.  I've snoozed a little, watched a movie, read some emails, talked to Rocket Man on the phone, played on facebook and refrained from internet shopping. 

About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time without my adult supervision while Rocket Man was away on business for the better part of 3 months.  He came home regularly during that time, but we spent a long time apart.  I grew weary of my own company and we were quite happy to be reunited.

This little trip is only 2 nights, but it feels all too familiar to be here and all alone.  I don't care for it.

Anyway, when I climbed into bed much earlier this evening, I snuggled down on his side of the bed.  I always sleep on his side when he's gone.  It is somewhat comforting to me to lay where he was night before last and will be again, God willing and if Delta Airlines gets him home, tomorrow night. 

Trouble is...the cord on my laptop doesn't reach that far.  And I am too lazy to crawl under furniture to plug it in to a closer outlet.  A few minutes ago, a warning popped up.

Your battery is low. 

I scrambled over to my side of the bed and plugged back in.  Can't lose my battery.

I realized that my battery really is low. I'm tired.  Not just because I didn't sleep well last night.  But a weary type of tired that goes deeper than one good night of sleep can fix.  Part of it has to do with my autoimmune difficulties, I'm afraid.  Part of it has to do with my lack of a good routine.  If I'm brutally honest, part of it has to do with my eating habits and lack of discipline in exercise. 

As I consider it, the warning tonight isn't the first warning I've had that my battery is low.  I've been just a bit cranky.  Sarcasm rolls off my lips entirely too quickly.  I have been easily irritated and feel anger bubbling just under the surface on occasion.  The worst is the feeling of being overwhelmed.  I just hate that.

So, yes.  My battery is low.  I need to plug back into my Source.  I need to be disciplined about my quiet time, my Bible reading and communion with God.  I need to consider carefully what I put into my body and I need to push it just a bit harder to burn calories and be more intentional about fitness. 

I'm ready.  And the first thing I'm going to do is turn the computer off and turn out the lights and try to get some sleep.  Because, my battery really is low.

I'm unplugging so I can recharge.
Because my battery is low!

No comments: