Friday, May 27, 2011

Five Minute Friday...On forgetting

Here's the challenge.  Write for 5 minutes.  No rewrite.  No edits.  Then, link up to
The Gypsy Mama

The prompt:  On forgetting
Go:

I'm learning to live with it, but I don't like it. I have some neurological issues and one way it manifests itself is that I forget. It is mostly short term memory loss, but still...it is unfamiliar territory to me.

I have to write things down. All things. I used to keep a calendar because it was socially acceptable, but I didn't need it. I remembered all the appointments, birthdays and other things that one puts in a calendar. I remembered my schedule and my childrens' as well. I knew those things. Just knew them.

I could remember your birthday if you ever told me the date. I just remembered. I couldn't remember my husband's birthdate last week. I look at my grandchildren and ask, "What is your name? Do I know you?" I do it to be funny, but it is because the name is simply gone.

I live with the fear that I will forget more and more. That I will forget my husband, my children, my grandchildren, the life that we have worked so hard to build together. That I will forget my faith. That I will forget myself.

Stop

4 comments:

Mamita J said...

Mollianne, Thank you for the kind comment. :-) I also must write everything down. There's just so much going on in my brain that stuff just falls out...

Julie

The Farmer Files said...

I get this. My mom had a stroke at 54. She was a self employed accountant...and numbers were her thing. It has been several years since her stroke and now...she really has to check and double check...write things down, doubt herself. But it does get better when she accustomed herself to her new self.

nics cahill said...

Thank you for sharing this - it must be so difficult.

Mollianne Massey said...

Thanks, for the kind comments.